Monday, April 7, 2008

the day i met the veronicas

i used to have a big crush on the veronicas. actually... it probably wasn't a REAL crush but more something i did to antagonise my ex-girlfriend. whenever they came on video hits i'd run to the tv and sit as close as i could to it and say 'VERONICA!' with my eyes wide open and a ridiculous smile on my face. it made my ex shake her head but then laugh (as i read over this i can see it's probably not an anecdote i should be sharing... ah... too late now weirdos).

but i was into that emo look for a while and one of them has tattoos... (you sometimes get confused... like with avril).

anyways, i'm lucky enough to work in a job where i get to meet famous people. i've worked in tv for nearly 7 years and at the moment i'm involved in a show that has just started having guest appearances by bands and pop stars. when i heard we'd be featuring 'veronica' i got very excited and even more intrigued by all that weird incest / pseudo lez stuff... time to see it with my own eyes.

lisa was the first on set and my initial reaction was that she was too small to be real. i mean... all the people you see on telly are smaller in real life but veronica #1 was like a tiny little doll that had the head of a much larger doll - like when kids disassemble their toys and put them back the wrong way. she looked like something my nan would have put on the top shelf so i couldn't break it... for the second time.

then jess (veronica #2) came in and she looked even more fragile. FYI... the twins don't look identical in real life but they do hold hands a lot. i mean a lot. and jess agrees with lisa a lot. and they don't laugh at jokes... or at least my attempt at a joke... but i think they were more focused on the task at hand... but i had less of a crush as a result.

anyways... we did the introductions and i was careful not to crush anyone's fingers in the process. they were polite and professional (with mum standing by at all times) and talked like street savvy teenagers who had already pretty much conquered the L.A. party scene... because they had.

the highlight of my day (aside from getting my picture taken in between the two of them - like a giant being hugged by a pair of emo thumbelinas ) was overhearing a comment made by lisa after we'd done a take of them performing their single 'this love'.

as i mentioned... they hold hands a lot (on and off camera) but even more so in this performance because of the lyrics:

You took my hand
You told me it would be ok

I trusted you to hold my heart

Now fate is pulling me away, from you


when the assistant director called cut... lisa said to jess, "we shouldn't hold hands so much... it looks really gay..." and THAT was my special moment.

so it was ace to meet 'veronica' but i am over my crush. well at least in the real life sense. they look human-sized on telly and i bet they'd laugh at my joke on telly.

i've been warned by friends that i'll have the same reaction when i meet missy higgins. doubt it. missy and i will get married and live happily-ever-after. even if she is ridiculously little in person. hello missy...

Photobucket

FYI (tangent time)... i wrote a song about missy a while ago. it sounds a bit like 'pump up the jam'. i'll play it for you sometime. but for now you can read the lyrics and think about 'pump up the jam' and visualise my bad '80s dance moves.

and i think i'll leave you with this tonight because i'm forgetting to eat with all this blogging. time for some tofu (cos i'm told that's one of the things lesbians eat).

MISSSSSSY

Missy stop teasing me
Relieve my curiosity
Oh ba-by do you prefer
A piece of him or a piece of her?

Missy stop teasing me
Your secret's safe with me baby
You've given me a scar hot stuff
Get over here and let's talk muff

Miss Missy - Uh - Do you have a girlfriend?
Missy - Uh - Do you wanna be mine?
Miss Missy - Uh - There's a whole lotta ladies
Missy - Uh - Who think you're fine x2

Missy stop teasing me
I wanna know if you're family
You're so damn hot I've got a blister
Let's work it girl, sister to sister

Missy stop teasing me
Stop being such a mystery
C'mon Miss are you a lez?
Cos that's what all of Northcote says

Miss Missy - Uh - Do you have a girlfriend?
Missy - Uh - Do you wanna be mine?
Miss Missy - Uh - There's a whole lotta ladies
Missy - Uh - Who think you're fine x2

Missy stop teasing me
You and I are meant to be
Your casual, earthy, folk pop ways
Does crazy things to all us gays

Missy stop teasing me
Your words are just like poetry
Each simple verse keeps me guessing
So why don't you start confessing?

Miss Missy - Uh - Do you have a girlfriend?
Missy - Uh - Do you wanna be mine?
Miss Missy - Uh - There's a whole lotta ladies
Missy - Uh - Who think you're fine x2

Miss Missy - Uh - Come to the party
Missy - Uh - Cos you want to
Miss Missy - Uh - And we can be
Missy - Uh - The special two

Miss Missy - Uh - You foolin me?
Missy - Uh - To sell CDs?
Miss Missy - Uh - Well it's workin baby
Missy - Uh - I'm on my knees

No comments: